Founded in 2004 by friends, Sébastien Kopp and François Morillion, Veja sneakers proves ethical fashion doesn’t have to compromise style (or break the bank). The French duo first met at school and later became close friends during college and university, but it wasn’t until they travelled across Africa, South America and Asia that they were inspired to start Veja. Witnessing the effects of globalisation, the pair became convinced the trainer market was in need of an environmentally and ecologically conscious brand. Veja trainers was born and with it, innovations in eco-friendly design, manufacturing and materials. Over a decade later and Veja shoes has been worn by the likes of Marion Cotillard, Charlotte Gainsbourg and even David Beckham.
Why we love it:
Not only do Veja shoes have style, they’ve got eco credentials too. Champions of fair trade manufacturing, the brand’s do-good attitude ensures all its materials are consciously sourced, shipped and manufactured. This new way of thinking has lead to innovations in design and materials. They developed B-Mesh, a light, breathable trainer upper made from polyester and recycled plastic bottles. Then there’s Veja’s tilapia leather – a strong tropical fish skin used instead of traditional leathers. But perhaps one of the most noteworthy innovations yet is the brand’s LRT (Liquid Rubber Technology); a technological and social innovation that generates more income for native rubber producers and greater elasticity for your undersoles. The perfect feel-good, look-good trainer combination (with a vegan trainers in production too).
- Veja V-10: Designed to celebrate the French label's tenth anniversary, the Veja V10 trainers are a stunning option for any sports lover. The shoes are a combination of responsibly sourced leather and organic cotton. When it comes to the fit, some people may find that the Veja V10 trainers are a little on the heavy and wide side. If you are between two different sizes, it’s smart to choose the size down.
- Veja V-12: Offering a completely sustainable and ecological approach, the Veja V12 trainers are both smart and breathable options. These sporty shoes are made from recycled bottles also feature a unique water resistant upper. This trainer also runs on the large side, although it does have a narrow fit. If you are between sizes, you should always opt for the size down.
- Veja Esplar: The Veja Esplar trainers offer a classic low-top design. These shoes have become popular thanks to its soft leather upper, breathable organic cotton lining and simple V-stitch design. The trainers have both a paired-back, minimalistic look. The Esplar trainers tend to run true to size. However, if you are between sizes, you should opt for the size down.
- Veja SDU: With a B-mesh upper, which is made from recycled bottles, and vegan suede panels, it’s hard not to fall in love with the Veja SDU trainers. These feature a wild Amazonian rubber sole, jersey lining and a rubber logo V on the side. The SDU models tend to be true to size. With that in mind, you should choose the same size that usually fits you.
- Veja Rio Branco: Sporting the super soft and resilient Hexamesh fabric, the ‘retro running’ Rio Branco trainers offer an at once cool and dynamic design. The Hexamesh is composed of 70% organic cotton and 30% recycled plastic bottles. The lining features 33% organic cotton and 67% recycled polyester while there’s the classic logo V on the side of the shoes. When it comes to the fit, the brand recommends going one size up if you’re in between sizes.
- Veja 3-Lock: The Veja 3-Lock low-top trainers are made from ethically-sourced beautiful white leather. Of course, the 3-Lock trainers are also sustainable. These shoes feature materials including organic Cotton, recycled E.V.A. and even wild rubber from Amazon forest. They tend to run a little narrow, and so it’s worth going a size up if you’re between sizes.